Every week we receive new request for live tracking of sport events and for training purposes. We have conducted some live beta testing this summer, but a returning problem is to find suitable hardware.
OK, but what about cell phones?
Sure, maybe in 2-3 years? Until then will cell phone location based services just be that – location based with services. I mean - we want to know where we are, request information about local facilities, and get directions from A to B on maps, and we want it on the fly. This is the focal point for cellphone vendors since it provide important content for the operators.
All very well, but this does not make them suitable for activity monitoring and tracking for sports.
OK, this is what we want:
An athlete GPS watch with GPRS (2,5 G) tranfer capabilities.
Capabilities (short list):
- GPS watch with display for time, speed, distance, and heart rate
- suitable for all kind of weather conditions
- transmit position data every 5 sec
- sufficient battery capacity and memory backup
It’s possible to manufacture such a device with today’s new GPS chip set technology and if the price is right it’s also an interesting market out there.
Sportsim and others will provide suitable applications for it - thats our job.
So, what can we use it for?
- live racing - follow race on web site or big screen
- family tracking while training – security
- all data online when finished training session – no more cable transfers, analyze your training when you want - it's already stored and online available!
Have nice weekend J